Friday, July 6, 2012

Book Beginnings

Every Friday Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays.

The guidelines of the meme are: Share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.

I invite you to stop by the post at Rose City Reader. The Book Beginnings meme provides an opportunity to hear about books we might not otherwise be aware of.

The  first lines of my book are...
A grim prospect greeted Troy and Bonham. Eight small boys ranged across the pavement, all looking expectantly toward Bonham. No one spoke, the expectant looks seemed fixed somewhere between joy and tears.

I had mixed reactions to these first few sentences. They do pull you in and make you curious. What is going on, what will happen next? But this is just the prologue and we are left hanging, wondering. I don't really like prologues.

The book is Flesh Wounds by John Lawton. First published as Blue Rondo in the UK.

At this point I am about a third of the way into the book and I am enjoying it immensely. It is the 5th of seven books in a mystery series featuring Inspector Troy of the Scotland Yard, set in the years before, during and following World War II. This one is set in the late 1950's. I am hooked on this series.

2 comments:

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

OK, now I have to go find the series. Your blog is dangerous for me.

Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings on Fridays. I'd like to drum up some more participants, and one idea I had was this: if you are on Twitter, please tweet a link to your post using the has tag #BookBeginnings. Maybe in connection with #FridayReads, if you participate in that twitter event. Thanks!

Peggy Ann said...

Added this author and this series to my wishlist!